Criminals are increasingly trying to scam online consumers and our members are not immune.
We recently received information that members may be receiving a scam email, appearing to be from Blue Cross NC. Clicking on links in this email may result in unintended consequences. The links point to a fake site (bcbsnc.net) encouraging members to provide personal information. Blue Cross only utilizes a dot com (.com) website. Please use caution when receiving unsolicited calls or emails.
Phishing emails are designed to look like they’re from a legitimate source. But these scams trick you into clicking on a link giving your computer a virus or trick you into sharing private information like passwords, credit cards or social security numbers. If you share your information, it goes directly to the scammers who will use your information for criminal activity.
Top tips to avoid phishing emails
- Watch for grammatical errors. Phishing emails are known to have many errors.
- If an email from a company is unsolicited, do not click on the link. Open a web browser and type in the correct web site link or google it. For example, if you’re sent an email that appears to be from Blue Cross NC, but you are unsure, go to your browser and type in https://www.bluecrossnc.com or google Blue Cross NC and click on the appropriate link.
- Look at the email sender and links. Many times, they are cryptic and not from the organization they claim to be.
Sample fake email
Phone scams are increasing as well. These scammers will encourage you to provide information in return for deals that sound too good to be true. Some may even scare you into giving them information. If in doubt hang up and call us using the number on the back of your insurance card. You can also login to Blue Connect and send us a message.
Red flags: The caller may use these tactics:
- You have to make up your mind right away.
- You trust me, right?
- You don’t need to check with anyone
- You’ve been specially selected (for this offer).
- You’ll get a free bonus if you buy our product.
- You’ve won one of five valuable prizes.