I love experimental cooking. That’s why this recipe makes me so happy. It is nearly impossible to mess up. Plus, there are tons of variations you can use to make it your own.
For me, adding in cayenne pepper helps find the contrast between the sweet and spicy flavors. It is a glorious combination. But if staying sweet is your thing, adding in cinnamon and nutmeg is so warm and comforting. Plus, sweet potatoes are full of beta-carotene, which gives sweet potatoes their orange coloring and makes them so good for your eyes and skin!
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp vegan buttery spread
- Spices to taste (optional)
- Bake 4 sweet potatoes at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until soft
- Once cooled, (but still warm) carefully peel sweet potatoes and place in large mixing bowl.
- Peelings should fall off of potato easily, but be careful as they can trap heat and be deceivingly hot.
- Mash sweet potatoes in a bowl
- 1 tbsp using any organic vegan buttery spread that’s free of hydrogenated oils
- Add spices to taste (cinnamon, nutmeg, or cayenne)