The 2015 ACA Annual Enrollment Period is Here: What You Should Know
The ACA Annual Enrollment Period for 2015 is now here. This is your once-a-year opportunity to make changes to your plan or enroll in a new one. It started November 15, 2014 and goes until February 15, 2015.
We’ll break it down to these four scenarios to help you make a smooth transition from this year to the next. Together we’ll take it step by step.
Learn more about:
People with Grandfathered Plans
If your health plan was in place on March 23, 2010 and you haven’t made changes to it, you have a Grandfathered Plan.
Grandfathered Plans are exempt from many ACA requirements.
You have the option to change to an ACA plan, if you like. But remember: once you give up your grandfathered plan, you can’t get it back. Be sure to carefully consider the costs and benefits of your grandfathered plan and the available ACA plans before making a decision.
You’ll have until December 15 to make changes – including some limited changes that won’t affect your status – for effective start date of January 1. Visit Blue Connect to make any changes.
People with Transitional Plans
If you purchased a health plan between March 24, 2010 and Oct. 1, 2013, you probably have a transitional plan. These are plans that were scheduled to be canceled on Jan. 1, 2014 because they didn’t meet the requirements of the ACA. The administration announced late last year that these plans could be continued for up to two additional years. As with Grandfathered Plans, if you’re happy with your plan you will be automatically renewed. But if you’d like to compare your options and see if you might qualify for a subsidy to purchase an ACA plan, we can help. Reach out to us at Blue Connect at http://www.blueconnectnc.com and we’ll guide you through the process.
Remember, a new plan may cost more than your current plan, even with subsidies. Once you leave your plan, you won’t be able to go back, so choose carefully.
Just like with Grandfathered Plans, you’ll have until December 15 to make changes for effective start date of January 1. Visit Blue Connect to make changes.
People With ACA/Subsidized Plans
Subsidized(1) ACA plans include many of those purchased on the Health Insurance Marketplace for 2014. In this case it’s important that you ask some key questions before making decisions for 2015. For example, you’ll want to consider how much you want to pay out-of-pocket and consider the size of your network.
As with every year, you may see an increase in what you pay each month for your current plan – this happens for a variety of reasons, including the rising cost of services and your age. If you like your plan you’ll be automatically renewed – but you still need to visit the Marketplace and update your subsidy. If you don’t, you might not receive as much subsidy as you’re entitled to and could pay more than necessary for your health plan. When making decisions about your plan, you’ll need to take a variety of things into consideration—including the size of your network, out-of-pocket costs, and overall monthly premiums.
As with other plans, you have until December 15 to make changes and explore plan options for effective start date of January 1. Visit Blue Connect to make changes.
People with ACA/Non-Subsidized Plans
If you purchased a plan on or off the Health Insurance Marketplace last year but did not receive a subsidy, there are a few things to know. First, you may see an increase in what you pay each month for your current plan – this changes from year to year, and happens for a variety of reasons, including the rising cost of services and your age.
If you like your plan, you’ll automatically be renewed. However, if you’d like to make changes, see if you may qualify for a subsidy(1), or are just curious as to what our other plans offer, you can visit Blue Connect at http://www.blueconnectnc.com. When making decisions about your plan, you’ll need to take a variety of things into consideration—including the size of your network, out-of-pocket costs, and overall monthly premiums.
Key Dates to Remember for the Annual Enrollment Period
Here are some key dates to remember. As always, you can give us a call or contact your agent whenever you have questions. We’re here to help!
- November 15, 2014: Annual Enrollment Period begins. This is the time (once a year) that you can keep or change your plan.
- December 15, 2014: This is the deadline to make changes to your plan for a start date of January 1, 2015.
- December 31, 2014: Coverage ends for 2014 plans.
- Coverage for 2015 plans can start as soon as January 1st.
- February 15, 2015: This is the last day you can apply for a 2015 plan before the end of the Annual Enrollment Period.
Here’s some more helpful links:
- Blue Map is your on-the-go place to get the information you need for renewing your health plan.
- Call our Customer Service Department at 800-206-4697. Representatives will help guide you through specific questions about re-enrollment. They are have extended hours during the Annual Enrollment Period.
- Visit Blue Connect for specific information regarding your plan.
- Contact your agent or talk to one of the many BCBSNC agents located across the state.
- We’re hosting Webinars in November to take you through your options.
- Events will be held throughout North Carolina to explain your options and provide an opportunity for you to ask questions. Go to URL for more details.
(1) Actual subsidy eligibility and amounts can only be determined by the federal government. See http://www.healthcare.gov for more details.
[Top image: Shutterstock]