Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (Blue Cross NC) is donating $1.5 million to the North Carolina Disaster Relief Fund to help residents recover from Hurricane Florence.
Customers who have questions about prescription refills, payment extensions or other services should call the customer service number on the back of their member card. In addition, pharmacies with questions should call the Blue Cross NC pharmacy desk.
Blue Cross NC Employee Impact
We are also matching employee donations made to hurricane recovery efforts at 100 percent.
- Blood Donation: We are encouraging employees to donate blood at the American Red Cross Blood Donation Center located at the Blue Cross NC Durham campus. Employees not located in Durham or community members interested in participating can sign up to donate blood at a location near them.
- Supply Donation: Through October 5th, Blue Cross NC employees will be able to donate size 4 and 5 diapers, baby wipes and feminine hygiene pads to be donated to the Diaper Bank of North Carolina. The supplies will go towards helping families impacted by Florence.
EARLY PRESCRIPTION REFILLS, PAYMENT EXTENSIONS
In anticipation of a possible State of Disaster declaration, and to ensure our members have access to care during and after the hurricane, Blue Cross NC is implementing the following until October 13, or until a potential state of disaster is rescinded:
- Affected members and employers are allowed to delay paying their premiums for 30 days.
- Affected members are allowed to get an early prescription drug refill or replace a lost or destroyed prescription – if they make a request by October 13, 2018.
- Blue Cross NC will also provide a 30-day extension for deadlines related to:
- Submission of claims;
- Filing of appeals;
- Requests for authorization of medical services; and
- Additions of newborn and adopted children to a medical policy.
- Affected members who need additional flexibility on premium payments, medications or other requirements should call the customer service number on the back of their member card.
Free virtual health services
MDLIVE and Teladoc will be offering free telehealth services to individuals and families impacted by Hurricane Florence.
North Carolinians experiencing the storm’s impact can call a dedicated MDLIVE hotline at 888-959-9516 and provide the code Florence to schedule their first consultations. All sessions after this will be conducted via telephone or video, enabling individuals to select the platform most convenient for their individual case. This virtual health offering is available via MDLIVE’s online medical network for the diagnosis and treatment of common health problems, as well as non-emergency dermatological ailments and behavioral issues.
To receive care from Teladoc, affected individuals should call the designated hotline at 855-756-8708 or visit teladoc.com/Florence for more information. This service extends beyond current Teladoc eligibility, and is available to any individual impacted during this time.
Behavioral health support
Through October 21, 2018, Magellan Health is offering free, confidential counseling and referrals to local non-profit organizations, shelters and additional community-based support.
Call Magellan at 800-327-7451 to access this help line.
Please note that behavioral health services provided in an inpatient, outpatient, emergency room or professional setting are subject to the terms of your health plan. Copayments, coinsurance and deductibles may apply.
Connecting with a nurse
Our Health Line Blue (1-877-477-2424) nurses can help 24/7. Let our nurses help you decide where to get care when you need it.
Health Line Blue nurses can:
- Answer questions until you can see your doctor
- Answer questions about your medications
- Give you information to make better health care decisions
Remember, if you are facing an issue that threatens your life or health, call 911.
Find an open pharmacy
Healthcare Ready has activated Rx Open. Rx Open is an interactive map that helps patients and providers find nearby open pharmacies in areas impacted by disaster. Visit this website to check pharmacies in your area.
Blue Cross NC members with Blue 20/20 powered by EyeMed needing assistance should call EyeMed at 1-866-652-0018.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield are registered marks of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans. MDLive and Teladoc are separate companies that are solely responsible for the telehealth services they are providing. MDLive and Teladoc do not offer Blue Cross or Blue Shield products or services.