The health care industry is one that begs discussion — it’s personal, it’s social, and it impacts us all. Every week we come across hundreds of articles, tweets, updates, and briefs. We thought you’d like to read some of what we’re seeing right now, and start a conversation. Tune in Mondays for your weekly dose of all things North Carolina health care news related.
Got a link to share? Tweet us at @bcbsnc with #NCHealthLinkWeekly, and we could feature your story in an upcoming edition.
Innovation and Trends
- Genetic Testing Moves into World of Employee Health (Winston-Salem Journal via AP, 04-28-15)
- Bundled Payment Models for Cancer-Related Costs (Onc Live, 04-27-15)
- Nursing Homes Are Starting to Supplant Hospitals as Focus of Basic Health Care (New York Times, 04-24-15)
Health Care Technology
- Can Apple and IBM Change Health Care? Five Big Questions (Forbes, 04-30-15)
- Triangle Tech Companies Tap Into Patient-Driven Healthcare Trends (Xconomy.com, 04-30-15)
- How is the Doctor-Patient Relationship Changing? It’s Going Electronic. (Washington Post, 04-27-15)
Health and Fitness
- How Paradise Became the Fattest Place in the World (CNN, 05-1-15)
- The 22 Best Apple Watch Health And Fitness Apps (TechCrunch, 04-24-15
- Triangle Hospital Safety Scores Released (Triangle Business Journal, 04-29-15)
- N.C. Lawmakers Move to Inject Transparency Into Drug Pricing (Triangle Business Journal, 04-29-15)
- NC Autism Services Mandate for Insurers Clears Senate (WRAL, 04-28-15)
Medical Errors: Let’s Talk Cost Watch video
More than a million patients catch infections in U.S. hospitals each year, driving up health care costs by 30 billion dollars. That’s why Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina rewards hospitals that reduce avoidable infections and errors. See more ways we’re tackling rising health care costs.