We know health insurance can be confusing. And where your health is concerned, you never want to be in the dark. That’s why we work hard to answer your questions on the phones, in our retail stores, on social media, and beyond.
We hear many of the same questions from our customers and thought it might help to collect our most recent “greatest hits” from this very busy past month. Hopefully you can find the answer you need right here, before you even have to pick up the phone.
If you have a question not covered in this list here, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us we’re always glad to help.
Can I still sign up for health insurance for 2015?
December 15 was the deadline to have coverage that started January 1. However, you can still apply for insurance that starts later in 2015. Here are other ACA Open Enrollment Dates you need to know about:
- December 22, 2014: Last day to process applications from new customers purchasing from Blue Cross and Blue Shield for a January 1, 2015 start date.
- December 31, 2014:Coverage ends for 2014 plans.
- February 15, 2015: This is the last day to sign up for 2015 plans. If you sign up on February 15, your coverage will begin March 1, 2015. After February 15, 2015, you must have a qualifying life event to sign up for coverage.
How can I make my first payment?
If you bought your policy through the Healthcare Marketplace:
Online or by phone:
Your first payment can be made on our website at www.bcbsnc.com/pay, or you can pay by phone by calling 1-888-802-2386.
It takes approximately three days from when you applied online at the Marketplace for your new account to show up in our system. Therefore, it may be three days before you can pay through www.bcbsnc.com/pay.
You will receive a letter and invoice in the mail after you sign up for coverage. If you want to pay by mail, please be sure to include the invoice with your payment. The invoice includes a bar code that is linked to your account, enabling us to easily process your payment. Not including the invoice could cause delays.
After your initial payment, use the address listed on the invoice or send your payment to
PO Box 580012
Charlotte, NC 28258-0012
If you purchased your policy on the Marketplace you will have 14 days from the day you submitted your application to make your initial payment. After that, your application will be cancelled if we haven’t received payment.
If you purchased your policy through Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina or a licensed agent: Payment is requested at the time you apply. Applications cannot be processed until the initial payment is received.
Why can’t I register for Blue Connect?
Access to Blue Connect is available on or after your policy’s effective date. If you have access issues after that date, please call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card or email email@example.com.
How long does it take to get ID cards and policy information after my first payment is made?
If you bought your policy directly from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC), you will typically see your ID card in 7 – 10 days.
If you bought your policy from the federal Marketplace, it may take a few more days than the standard 7 – 10, but you can always print a temporary card from Blue Connect.
**ID cards will be delayed this year for some renewing members. However, you can still use your 2014 card if you didn’t make changes to your plan. If you did, after January 1, 2015 you can print a temporary card from Blue Connect at http://www.blueconnectnc.com.
Why did my rate increase for 2015?
Many factors go into determining rates. For more details on how rates are set and what it means to you, read these blog posts:
- Wondering Why Your Premium Increased Even Though You Are Healthy?
- A Look Inside Our 2015 Rates: What They Mean for Our Individual Customers Under Age 65
While those are the top 5 questions, here are some more resources that may help you during the buying process or as a new member:
- Blue Map – Your guide to 2015 insurance options.
- In person help from one of our retail locations – We offer personalized service in 7 locations across the state. Find one near you and setup an appointment.
- Local sales agents – We have agents across the states that are ready to help.
- Attend a health care enrollment presentation near you.
- Visit us at an upcoming event
- Our blog is updated weekly with heath insurance related topics
- Call Customer Service –For individual members, during open enrollment we’re open 8am-9pm Monday-Wednesday, 8am-10pm Thursday & Friday, and Saturday 9am-1pm. Please call the number listed on the back of your insurance card. If you cannot access your card, call 1-800-446-8053
[Top Image: Shutterstock]